G&K’s Business is Inherently Green
Our environmental stewardship policy states that “We will proudly benefit the environment in all that we do.” We consider good environmental stewardship fundamental to conducting business with integrity – it is one of our Core Values.
G&K Services responsibly launders millions of uniforms each week. Our efficient, large-scale operations use less water, energy, and detergents than laundry done on-site at small businesses or in homes. Across our facilities, wastes are separated, contained, minimized, and reused, recycled or disposed of responsibly and properly.
As a leading uniform and facility services provider, we are committed to environmentally sustainable laundering practices. We believe that protecting the environment and conserving resources is the right thing to do.
Our environmental priorities and recent accomplishments include:
Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Reduced natural gas consumption at our facilities by 10%. We are targeting further reductions in overall natural gas consumption in 2016.
- Reduced our annual fleet fuel consumption by over 200,000 gallons.
- Replaced inefficient lighting and recovered heat from wastewater and boiler stacks in our industrial laundry facilities. Our water conservation efforts also reduce energy consumption, as recycled water requires less heating than fresh water.
- In 2015, we installed a company-wide energy management system to provide 24/7 system monitoring.
Waste and Pollutant Reduction
- Used innovative Nonylphenol Ethoxylate (NPE)-free laundry formulations that are less toxic to the environment and have lower bio-accumulation potential for wildlife. We have fully transitioned to NPE-free chemistry at all our facilities.
- Earned recognition from several local government organizations for outstanding compliance with wastewater requirements.
- Reduced wash floor chemical use by up to 30%.
- Reduced wastewater sludge generation by up to 50% at a number of facilities through improved wastewater treatment.
We are excited by the progress we’ve made in reducing our environmental impact to date, and remain focused on driving further improvements.
G&K Services offers the choice to rent or purchase environmentally responsible products to meet our customers’ needs. We offer:
- Green Seal and/or EcoLogo™ certified paper towels and tissue made from 100% recycled content.
- Biodegradable soaps made from renewable resources, and wrapped in recycled and recyclable packaging.
- Battery-free air fresheners that contain no volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Microfiber mops and towels that reduce chemical and water use due to their unique cleaning properties.
- Wet and dust mops that contain up to 76% post-consumer waste from recycled plastic bottles.
Commitment to Reuse and Recycle
Our services ensure that customers are able to reuse uniforms, towels, mats and other items versus disposing of them. In this manner, we help reduce waste. And when garments are removed from service, we attempt to recycle or donate them.
G&K Services prides itself on being an industry leader in sustainable practices and is a founding member of the Textile Rental Services Association of America’s (TRSA) environmental stewardship program (LaundryESP®). G&K Services is also a proud member of the U.S. Green Building Council™ (USGBC).